Sunday, June 3, 2012

Short Contemplations While Eating Too Much Yogurt

Teeb's eggs didn't make it. I suspect it was because I didn't have the ventilation hole opened up on the incubator and they just didn't get enough fresh air to be viable. They hatched...but they didn't make it. Yes, I'm heartbroken about that. I let my beloved little Trout drake down again.

One of the reasons I didn't catch the ventilation goof-up was because I am once again in the realm of them employed. Said employment takes me out of town during the week. The Banshees and my poor beleaguered spouse are taking care of our birds and doing a fair job on taking care of the established plants. The only casualties so far are most of my tomatoes and the rosemary that had been thriving outside the front door. Well, such things can be replaced and I'm not going to get crazy or I'll never quit being crazy.

My employment is termed "seasonal" which is a short way of saying that I'm always working myself out of a job. It's one of the charms of construction work, actually, or at least it is when you aren't starving to death because there isn't any work anywhere. I'm not doing too bad for a middle-aged out-of-shape lady who hasn't had formal employment for 14 years. This job looks to be fairly long-term -- it might last until Christmas -- and the only thing wrong with that is that it is so far away from home base. I miss my babies, I miss my home, I really miss my husband, but I also have to say that it's very nice to be no longer receiving collection calls. I'm going to ride this thing out until the end because I want to get into a position to at least have a reasonable chance of never having to listen to another collection agent again.

Part of that plan is using some of the construction money as seed  money for my various other projects. I want the Goose up and hopping. I want a welding machine -- although if I'm honest with myself I'm not really sure how I'm going to monetize that, I just know I want to play with metal. I want to fund the sources that have a decent chance of either earning us money or saving us money when I'm not on the road raising money. I want to get some decent wood-working hand tools going because I'd like to learn how to use them and MB shows every sign of wanting to be a hands-on creative building type. I want to show my Banshees that they don't have to be dependent on an employer, that when times are rough they have the wherewithal to figure out how to generate income. Nothing is perfect. Nothing can be done that will ensure that bad times won't ever come their way. It's just that I'm a firm believer that the more skills somebody has, the more likely they'll be able to create opportunities and/or capitalize on any lucky breaks that come their way. In other words, luck tends to favor the prepared.

Right now I have to prepare for another work-week. There is laundry to be done and lunches to be calculated and what-not that I'm trying to remember and wishing I didn't have to. On the other hand, I have a broody goose and I'm really hoping that a gosling comes out of this in about a month's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment