Some days I go great blazing guns, and some days I putter around looking for my lost focus. This whole last week looks kind of fuzzy in the rear view mirror; I shoveled a few wheelbarrows of dirt, shifted a few old bales of straw to the compost heap and kept thinking that I really needed to get into a higher gear. The gear will get here eventually, sooner rather than later, and I have to keep reminding myself that my life is a 48-hour schedule crammed into the normal 24-hour day. Some things are going to get back-burnered, delayed, and rescheduled. Sometimes the Banshees need so much of my attention that everything else takes a lower priority. That's what happened to last week: The Banshees needed my attention more than shifting the backyard geography did.
What did happen? Well, I restrung the clothes line. It looks better and hangs more clothes. I still have to move it into its permanent position but right now it's functional and that's all to the good. I sorted out the garlic. Sure I'll be planting it three months late, but I will have a wonderful opportunity to find out which varieties will stand that sort of mucking about. I established the new location of the compost heap and am slowing moving more material into it. I've been keeping up on the egg gathering and even more importantly, improved my egg handling. The eggs go into the fridge as soon as they've been scrubbed and they get scrubbed as soon as they hit the house. Yorick has started laying again, so I'm getting a brand new 177 gram goose egg every two to three days. She's also gone very moody and has decided that under the clothes line is the perfect place to lay eggs, which means she's given to attacking Banshees if they're out doing laundry. Oh yes, it's time to get that girl a new living arrangement. I also finally got up the courage to get some different potting mixes so I can find out what's going to work with my soil blockers. So far I've only played with the mini 20 and I love it. My 3/4-inch by 3/4 inch squares are a little wobbly and possibly not as compacted as they should be, but they're holding shape and I can hardly wait until I can start planting a whole bunch of seeds. Of course I'm going to be doing that tomorrow, before I really have any place to handle all of the much bigger seedlings they're going to turn into. I really am going to have to work on this leap before looking problem I've got. Still, I'll probably get into various tomato varieties tomorrow and then I'll move on to the other crops that I've been thinking about putting into the garden. Broccoli, lettuces, cabbages, beans, peas, beets, carrots, onions, melons, pumpkins and other squashes, Serrano and Anaheim chilis, radishes, spinach, and probably half a dozen other things I can't remember off of the top of my head. Oh yeah, and the herb garden. I need a bunch of basil and oregano and savory and thyme and tarragon and other goodness. I have no idea where I'm going to put it all but that has never stopped me before.
This is why my husband's idea of completing Goal One (creating the farm) before Goal Two (planting edibles with hopes of an actual, gatherable crop) is never going to work. He could do it, but I'm the one who is doing the grunt work. And I am a hopeless, hopeless optimist.
So not a lot got done last week. At least I can say that some small things got started. And next week even more will get done. Fits and starts.